top of page

What causes Rapid Electrical Surges?

Households must get informed about power surges. Power surges arise when there is a massive increase in your electrical system's current. They barely last around a fraction of a second but may inflict lasting harm to any outlets or plugged-in gadgets. If an appliance can't manage the overload, it might be damaged or perhaps entirely wrecked.

What is a Power Surge?

There are times when electrical power surges are stronger than usual. Depending on the kind of spike, the magnitude may range from a few volts to tens of thousands of volts. These fluctuations allow some power surges to go undetected while others may be devastating.

Cause of Power Surge

Electrical Overload

As the name implies, electrical overloads occur when too much power is drawn from a single circuit. This may happen if you use too many extension cords, plug in too many devices, or utilize a device that consumes more power than the circuit can handle. Because the overloaded circuit consumes extra energy, electrical overloads may cause power surges.

Faulty or Broken Wiring

Power surges may be caused by faulty wiring, which is more likely to occur if the cables are damaged or exposed. Outlets with burn marks, a burning odour coming from wire or outlets, and a buzzing sound emanating from outlets are all symptoms of a problem. Ensure to unhook any connected electrical equipment and switch off the power if feasible if you encounter these warning indications. Because it's tough to detect the state of your wiring from behind your walls, look for these indicators to learn what's going on: Circuit breakers often trip, outlets have visible burn marks or a burning smell, outlets vibrate or buzz, and there is a buzzing sound coming from the outlets.


Any electrical items you have hooked into your home or office might be destroyed by a large-scale power surge caused by lightning strikes. Depending on your cable TV or satellite dish, lightning strikes might bring power into your house, such as an incoming phone or electrical wires. If you don't have surge protection, it's best to turn off any electronics or appliances that aren't in use during a storm.

Power Outage/Blackout