top of page

Fire Hazards At Home & In The Workplace



Many households and businesses worry about fires. But many just take minimal precautions to safeguard their buildings and staff, either out of a desire to save expenses or a mistaken belief that a fire is unlikely to ever occur on the premises. There are many potential causes of major accidental fires, from defective appliances and leads to careless usage of a chip pan or proximity to an open flame.


You may reduce the danger to you and your family from fire by ensuring your smoke alarm is working correctly and by testing it once a month, but understanding what causes fires to start will give you the most peace of mind. Identifying and comprehending potential dangers is the first step in recognizing the many risks you may encounter. When evaluating the potential for a fire, keep in mind the following frequent causes of ignition:



Problematic Electrical Devices.

One of the most frequent causes of fires in the workplace is faulty electrical equipment. You should always repair frayed or broken wires and defective plugs. Also, it is essential to inspect and maintain your electrical appliances regularly to make sure they are in good working condition and pose no safety risks to you or your employees.



Smoking.

To reduce the risks associated with smoking in the workplace, dedicated smoking places should be established and strictly enforced for all employees and visitors, and ashtrays should be placed in easily accessible locations. It is hazardous to smoke anywhere near combustible things and to not wholly extinguish cigarettes.



Fire Exits Blocked.

It's hazardous to the lives of your workers and anybody else in the building if fire exits are blocked. In a fire, they risk severe injury or death due to being unable to quickly evacuate the building.



A Case of Overloaded Plugs.

Overloading a power outlet is expected. However, it may cause a fire if too much is plugged into it. This is because overheating and potential fire may occur when too many appliances are connected to a single outlet or when a defective extension cable is utilized. For this reason, you must educate your staff on the importance of inserting one plug per socket and using the appropriate wattage or amp rating.